Article and photos by Kathleen Walls
In the 19th
century, opera houses were the ultimate mark of civilization. Big cities
and small towns strove to open and maintain an opera house. In this era
before movies and TV, live entertainment was the
only public entertainment available. Even small towns opened Opera
Houses to attract traveling entertainers. Many were called "Grand" which
came from the theatre guide book of that time period and was designated
to theatres meeting certain qualifications regarding the building's
structure. In spite of the name, it was not only operas that were
performed in the theatre. In most cases they provided a place to perform
the most popular traveling shows of that time, including vaudeville
shows, minstrels and even some of the earliest silent movies. Here are
some of the most interesting I have visited.
Springer Opera House–Columbus, Georgia
|Performance of Phantom of the Opera at
||Edwin Booth's portrait at the Springer
Opera House in Columbus is now Georgia's State Theater. Visualize
yourself seated in the Springer in 1876. The five-year-old theater is
renowned for its curved double balconies, delicate tulip lights and high
proscenium arch. Wealthy merchants, planters, and steamboat passengers
declared it the finest theater between Washington and New Orleans. You
lean back in your seat and watch the plush velvet curtain rise. The
incomparable Edwin Booth, brother of man who shot President Lincoln,
strides unto the stage to portray Hamlet as only he can do.
This was the place to see and be seen. Edwin booth's ghost is reputed to
remain at the Springer along with many other spirits.
Throughout its career,
the Springer hosted the cream of the crop. Ethel Barrymore, Oscar Wilde,
Buffalo Bill, Lilly Langtry and hosts of other famous thespians have
trod the boards of the Springer's stage. It also provided a hotel on the
upper floors where many of the actors stayed. Then, with the coming of
the great depression, touring companies no longer travel to the great
stagers of America and Europe. The Springer begins a slow decline. It
served as a movie house for a time and was on a collision course with
the wrecker's ball.
In 1964, a group of
civic-minded citizens realized that an irreplaceable treasure was being
lost forever. They partially restored the aging dowager and once again
it fulfilled the purpose for which it was born, live theater.
Then in 1999 the
restoration was complete. Once more the Springer envelops you in
Edwardian splendor as you watch some of Broadway's biggest hits. The
hand stenciled designs, the gold leaf topped columns, the lavish
antiques and paintings filling its lobby and halls; all conspire to
transport you to the early 1900a. You feel the magic that only a live
performance can produce
Grand Opera House–Macon, Georgia
|Entrance to the Grand Opera House in Macon
||Balcony of the Grand Opera House in Macon
"Grand Lady of Mulberry Street" was built in 1884 by W.R. Gunn, one of
the top theatrical architects of the day. Gunn, who had designed more
than 100 other theatres in the United States, boasted "I am the only
theatrical architect and practical builder in the U. S. of A. who will
guarantee the line of sight and acoustics when the entire control of the
auditorium and stage is under my supervision, and will forfeit $1,000
when my construction proves a failure in either case." Mr. Gunn got to
keep his money.
The theater was originally called the
Academy of Music and its 58' x 90' stage was the largest south of the
Mason-Dixon Line. The theater
seated 2,418 patrons, almost one-fifth of Macon's population at the
time. It wasn't until its 1905 renovation that added its current seven
story facade that it became known as the Grand Opera House.
In its career, the Opera House
has seen its share of famous and strange performances. The 1908
production of Ben-Hur employed
live horses and chariots The
performers at the old theater read like a "Who's Who" of theatrical
greats: Charlie Chaplin, John
Phillip Sousa, Sarah Bernhardt, Will Rogers, George Burns and Gracie
Allen, Lionel Barrymore, Ethel Barrymore, Bob Hope, the Allman Brothers
Band, Ray Charles and Harry Houdini. Presently the stage has a number of trap doors, one of which is
still in operation. Locals in the know claim the trap doors were
installed specifically for Houdini's spectacular escapes.
In 1936, the movie
industry put the grand old dame on the skids. It tried to remain solvent
as a movie house and hosted Macon's only Hollywood premiere, 1945's
God is My Co-Pilot. It went downhill fast and by the 1960s plans
were afoot to replace it with a parking lot.
Fortunately, in 1967,
the Macon Arts Council, a group formed to save and restore the Grand
stepped in. They raised money for renovation and had the property placed
on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. For a time, it
reopened as a live theater in 1969 as the group continued their
fund-raising efforts. Its latest salvation came n 1995 when Mercer
University signed a lease with Bibb County to manage the Grand. Today,
it looks much like it did in its heyday.
You can still catch a
performance there. The Season at the Grand features professional
productions but many local performances are held there as well. Of
course, it has its resident ghost as well. Randy
Widner, the former managing director who committed suicide in a
room called the Thunder Room above the stage in 1971, may pop out and
chastise you if you are not respectful of "his" grand old opera house.
Grand Opera House–Meridian, Mississippi
|The Grand Opera House in Meridian
||The famed "Lady" in Meridan's Opera House
1890 and 1927 the Grand Opera House in Meridian, Mississippi, provided
east Mississippi and west Alabama with its cultural entertainment,
ranging from operas sung in both foreign languages and English,
traveling theater companies and minstrel shows. In the late 1800's, two
Jewish half-brothers, Israel
Marks and Levi Rothenberg saw the need for a grand entertainment palace
in Meridian. They built the Grand Opera House and the Marks Rothenberg
department store, adjourning each other in the heart of downtown. At that
time, Meridian was a common stopover for rail passengers between New
Orleans and Chicago and a very fast growing city.
Wanting the best quality
for their money, they hired J.B. McElfatrick of New York and St. Louis,
who had designed over 200 theaters in the United States, including the
National Theater in Washington D.C. and the Metropolitan Opera House in
Philadelphia, to design the interior of the opera house.
The stage, at 30 feet
wide by 50 feet deep, could accommodate the largest, most lavish New
York productions. The 35-foot high arched proscenium was framed by an
elaborate painted border featured the portrait of a lady, perhaps a
famous actress of the day.
The Grand Opera House
opened on December 17, 1890 with a performance of Johann Strauss's, The Gypsy Baron. Over the years famous names like Sarah Bernhardt and Henrik
Ibsen appeared there. Minstrel shows were popular and even African
American companies such as "Black Patti" graced its stage.
Like other opera houses
of its day, the advent of movie pictures spelled doom for the Grand.
Involved in lawsuits between Sanger, who had leased the building and due
to the depression was reneging on its lease, and the Rothenbergs, it
closed its doors in 1927. The lawsuits dragged for decades. Sanger
wanted to gut the building and renovate it for office space but
fortunately their lease prevented it from being used for any purpose
other than a theater. Due to all the legalities, the Grand Opera House
was left virtually untouched from the time of its closure.
This was a blessing in
disguise. When restoration began the High Victorian architectural
features were largely intact, including the original tin ceiling,
exquisite wood work, wainscoting, and actual remnants of over 60
different wall coverings. The "Lady" was still perfect. She just needed
a little cleaning. She has become the symbol of the Opera House and the
legend of her ghost is commonly told at the theater today.
It took over the next
two decades to save the Grand Opera House and restore the Marks
Rothenberg building as a convention and meeting center. A big factor was
a $10 million contribution from The Riley Foundation to restore the
beautiful theater. It
reopened in 2006 as Mississippi
State University's Riley Center for Education and
Couse Opera House–DeSmet, South Dakota
|Original stained glass from the opera house
||Some of the memorabilia Patti has salvaged from
the opera house
South Dakota, best known as one of the hometowns of Laura Ingles Wilder,
author of the Little House series, once had a
flourishing opera house. The closest you can come now is when you visit
Ward's Bakery. Ward's is a great place for lunch or breakfast and is
located across the street from what was once "Pa Ingalls's store. Ward's
owner, Patti Ward Slater, has converted it to her family living quarters
but she had retained many of the best architectural features of the old
theater. I was lucky enough to be invited to see it and was impressed.
The building now housing
Ward's Restaurant and Bakery was Edward H. Couse's hardware store when
Laura Ingles lived in DeSmet. In those days, the town had no place for
meetings or public entertainment.
The local citizens
wanted a place to host traveling theatrical shows and hold suppers,
dances, and other events. In 1886, Mr. Couse replaced his frame hardware
store with a magnificent two-story brick
building. He had the second floor fitted out as
an opera house and decided on a unique way to dedicate the new facility.
He offered a free kitchen stove and cooking utensils to the first couple
willing to be married in the new theater. Of course, he had plenty of
The event was a smashing
success and over the next three decades, the Opera House was the prime
spot for not only entertainment such as minstrel shows, musicals and
vaudeville acts, it provided a place for local social events.
In renovating the old
theater as her home, Patti Slater had managed to retain most of the
architectural features of the grand old theater.
Grand Opera House–Dell
Rapids, South Dakota
|Grand Opera House in Dell Rapids
||Joan Rasmussen on the stage of the Grand Opera
Dell Rapids' grandest buildings is the Grand Opera House built in 1888.
With the help of grants, Joan Rasmussen, the new owner is restoring "The
Grand" to its Romanesque Revival splendor with round-topped windows, a
balcony and decorative stepped cornice.
Even on the frontier,
Opera Houses were "the thing." By 1888, citizens were demanded
an opera house in their town. It took a tragic fire to ignite
the spark that would eventually create the opera house. In February, a
fire raged in the business district of Dell Rapids and destroyed among
other buildings, the Merchants Hotel. The lot the hotel stood on was
owned by two local businessmen, J.A. Cooley and M.R. Kenefick, former
Dell Rapids mayor. After the hotel was destroyed, they announce plans
to construct a two-story building with two stores and an opera
house with seating for nearly 450 people.
The building was
constructed of rose quartzsite stones from the Dell Rapids quarries and
was opened on November 5, 1888. An arch in the building's
center opened to the entrances of the two stores and the opera house.
Simple wood chairs were the first seats in the opera house. They
could be moved to a raised gallery for dancing or activities that
required the use of the main floor. Two coal burner stoves heated
the theater and kerosene lamps light both the stage and auditorium.
The house lamps were extinguished during performances. Long troughs in
front of the stage held the lamps that illuminated the actors. It was
crude compared to some of the theaters but the residents were thrilled
with their opera house.
The Clair Patee Company
was the first troupe to perform at the Grand Opera House in 1888. Their
offerings included The Martyr and
A Night Off. Vaudeville, minstrel, musicals and even medicine shows
graced its stage over the years.
By 1912, like elsewhere,
the movie business was edging out live performances. The O'Leary
brothers purchased the building and turned it into a movie theater. By
the late 1920s, they added sound equipment for "the talkies." Around
1936 it closed its doors and remained deserted until it was bought in
1951 by a W.F. Karel. There were some half-hearted efforts to restore
the building but nothing serious happened until recently.
Joan Rasmussen has been
a hands-on worker in this project. for her it has been a labor of love.
She hunted and found much of the fixtures and items used in the
renovation. One of her favorite finds are the signatures she found
inscribed on the stage walls. Some date back to 1897. When her youngest son went to school,
she began to think of a project. She told a friend "If someone would
renovate one building in downtown Dell Rapids and do it well, the entire
downtown would take off."
He replied, "It's
waiting for you."
Judging by the job she
had done on the Dell Rapids Opera House, he was so right.
For more info: